FordFord Focus four door saloon (2008 to 2011) with 205/55-16 tyres
Spikes-Spider SPORT - size SM with 19mm fittings
There are 3 things we really like about the Spikes-Spider SPORT:
(1) Speed and ease of fit: Once the hub mounting plates are fitted, (about 10 minutes a side, 5 minutes with practice) there's no doubt that Spikes-Spiders are both the fastest and the easiest chains to fit; you'll appreciate this when it's dark, cold and snowing! Please note that if you are new to this system you need to order both the Spikes-Spider and the hub mounting kit; both these items are pre-ticked in the order section at the bottom of this page.
(2) How they work: They use a combination of ice studs and chains, and are very effective. They're not in fact driven by the mounting plates - these just prevent them from being thrown off during fast cornering (which is never advised). Small plastic teeth on the underside of the traction arms grip the tyres, and the reverse of the tungsten carbide studs also slot into the treads. The mounting plates hold them loosely so they can move around as the tyres flex in response to changes in the road surface. A slow motion film would also show that they're allowed to lift off the top of the tyres, just enough to allow for efficient snow dispersal. Because they don't actually grip the tyres they're compatible with anti-lock braking and traction control systems (unlike conventional snow chains).
(3) Overall value: Spikes-Spider SPORT can easily be resized, bigger or smaller, to fit any tyre size for which a SPORT is available. The SPORT model has the widest application list of the whole range, fitting rim sizes from 12" to a massive 23", so we argue that they're the overall best value tyre traction system on the market!
We've been hiring chains for almost 10 years now and are always impressed by the state in which Spikes Spiders are returned, especially when compared to traditional snow chains. This is partly due to the ease of fitting - customers are more likely to take them off when they get to tarmac - but also to the quality of the components; metal components are made either of tungsten carbide or stainless steel, with the major plastic components made of a modified polypropylene.
As well as ski-driving, they're also ideal for UK snow use, especially in hilly areas, or for occasional extra traction on grass or sand, e.g. for pulling horse boxes or trailers on grass, or in various boat launching scenarios.
Fitting is very quick and easy:
Removing the Spiders is equally simple:
Other things you'll appreciate:
Spare parts and resizing information: Please click here for SPORT M spares, and online ordering for these accessories. Click here for a list of all the Spikes-Spider parts which you attach to the wheel, e.g. fix-clips, bolts, spacers.
Summary: The most complete system available, worth buying into if you expect to be a regular ski driver, or if you can see their potential for UK use as well.
If you only need a few spares, you can order them in single units; please click here.
Delivery charges and arrangements:
Free delivery offer for snow chains! As part of our Snow chains SALE we have added a free delivery option for all orders including snow chains, except for orders which also include a roof box. It covers all UK addresses except for any delivery address that includes a sea crossing.
See below for our normal delivery arrangements:
We charge a contribution towards delivery costs, depending on what you order, where you live, and how quickly you want the goods.
For most UK addresses, the charge for our two to three day service is £5.50 (£9.50 for orders including a roof box) and our charge for Next Working Day deliveries is £8.50 (£12.50 for orders involving a roof box). AutoSock, and small spare parts, are charged £3.95 (1st Class post) or £5.50 (express courier, usually Next Working Day).
There are different charges for any delivery including a sea crossing, and deliveries to Skye - we will contact you with a quote on receipt of order.
Orders for Next Working Day delivery need to be received by 4.00pm.
There are no deliveries on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays. Next Working Day orders placed on a Friday will be delivered on the Monday, Next Working Day orders placed on a Saturday will be delivered on the Tuesday.
We are very flexible with our deliveries and will aim to deliver on a day and at an address which suits you. Goods can usually be left without signature - we prefer this with roof boxes. There's a "Special Delivery Instructions" box in the checkout area where we'll ask you to choose a typical instruction and then amend it to suit your particular requirements.
No retailer or courier company can ever "guarantee" a Next Working Day delivery. All courier companies occasionally have the same transport problems as can happen to everyone else, including snow blocked roads, closed roads, traffic jams, mechanical breakdown, an inability to find the delivery address, or to gain access to it if, for example, it's in a block of flats. We work with some of the best couriers in the business, and overall they provide an outstanding service.
There are two parts to our snow chains end of season sale:
(1) A free UK mainland delivery option for any snow chain order except any orders including a roof box or a sea crossing.
(2) Huge discounts off our already discounted prices:
As usual, you change the quantities in the Shopping Basket.