SPIKES-SPIDER traction systems are
- The best alternative to traditional snow chains, and necessary for vehicles
whose restricted wheel clearance prevents the use of hooped snow chains.
- Compatible with anti-lock braking and traction control systems.
- Clean, quick and easy to fit and remove, whatever the weather and snow
conditions. They ‘click’ onto a pre-positioned hub plate which you need
to fit before you start your journey.
- Just as useful for providing extra traction on grass or sand, e.g. for
towing horse boxes. ("Sport" and "Carrier" models only.)
- Supplied in a strong black ‘ballistic nylon’ storage bag.
- Swiss made, and TÜV approved.
- No part of a SPIKES-SPIDER touches the metal wheel, so there’s no possibility
of damage to alloys.
- Only smooth heavy duty plastic touches the wall of the tyre, so you won’t
damage the tyre if you kerb it (kerbs aren’t so visible in snowy conditions).
- There shouldn’t be any damage to your car in the event of a breakage;
even the chain-based SPIKES-SPIDERs have a secondary chain to hold them
- A complete inventory of spare parts is available. Phone 08700 766326 for
- As well as the quality of materials, SPIKES-SPIDERs tend to last a very
long time because their simplicity of use encourages users to take them
off as soon as conditions allow.
- SPIKES-SPIDERs are not in fact driven by the central hub - this just prevents
them from being thrown off during fast cornering (which is never advised).
Small plastic teeth on the underside of the traction arms grip the tyre,
and the reverse of the tungsten carbide studs also slot into the treads.
The central hub holds them loosely so they can move around the tyre as it
flexes in response to changes in the road surface.
- SPIKES-SPIDERs are ready for use. Although primarily made of plastic resins
they are extremely robust. Their traction arms and cross bars are made of
polypropylene (which retains its elasticity at very low temperatures) with
tungsten carbide tipped studs. Chain components are of stainless steel.
- "Quick" with eight tungsten carbide
studded traction arms. These are appropriate for use in snow up to 5" (12cm)
deep, e.g. for typical "Get me home!" winter conditions in the UK. The maximum
recommended driving distance at any one time is 60 miles. Cars with tyre
sizes above 215mm, and large 4 x 4s and vans, will need the heavier duty
chain-based "Sport" or "Carrier" models - also needed if you want extra
traction on grass or sand. Note that most people
who ski-drive will buy the folding "Sport" or "Carrier"models; the "Quick"
doesn't fold and usually takes up too much boot/roof box space.
- "Sport" - a combination of chain and
tungsten carbide studded cross bars. They are ideal for use in deeper snow,
for ski-drive holidays, for those who live in hilly areas, or for extra
traction on wet grass, mud, sand, or e.g. slippery boat launching ramps.
- The "Carrier" is basically an extra heavy
duty "Sport", especially contoured for low profile tyres. It fits in the
same way as the "Sport".
- A very good product. For car / tyre combinations where RUD Chains say
"No fit for snow chains", they are your only sensible option. It’s fair
to say that fitting them to their pre-positioned hub plates genuinely is
a doddle - and fitting the hub plates gets faster with practice! They are
obviously relatively very expensive when compared to standard snow chains.
Note that you can hire before you buy - check out
our Hire section. We'll refund the Hire cost
if you buy a set of SPIKES-SPIDERs within 12 months of hiring them.
Snow Chains are
NOT available from