Looking for reassurance?... Can't decide?
If in doubt, please trust us with these Recommendations...
There's always a price / quality trade off when choosing a 'Best Buy'. We only sell good quality roof boxes, so we’re looking for the best overall value in each price range, with the boxes organised into their basic shapes - Narrow, Medium-wide, or Wide. There is such a difference in size and price between the shorter and longer Wide boxes that we split these between Short Wide, at the start of this list, and Long Wide, at the end of the list.
In any event you certainly won't go wrong with one of our package deals; they’re outstanding value for money and you’re getting the best boxes in their price range as well as top quality roof bars.
We have a 90 day exchange scheme. What this means in practice is that if your box is not as suitable for your purposes as you thought it would be, we'll exchange it for a box of comparable quality - we'll pay the return carriage. The details of this unique scheme / guarantee are shown on our Terms & Conditions pages. The bottom line is that, subject to a bit of commercial commonsense, we'll go the extra mile to make sure that you're not left with a box you're not happy with. There are no risks in buying a roof box from The Roof Box Company.
Our recommendations are as follows:
Short Wide boxes - BUDGET
- Hapro's Roady 350s come in silver or black for £134.95, but a lot less in a package deal with roof bars.
- The Hapro Roady 422, (£194.95), but a lot less in a package deal with roof bars.
- The Thule Ranger 90 roof bag (£194.95), but a lot less in a package deal with roof bars.
Short Wide boxes - TOP QUALITY
- KAMEI’s Delphin 380 (£239.95), available in scratch-resistant silver in right hand opening (driver's side) or left hand opening. They cost a lot less in a package deal with roof bars.
Medium Wide boxes - BUDGET
- KAMEI’s Husky L boxes (£174.95) are family sized boxes, available in right hand opening (silver or black) or left hand opening (silver or black). They cost a lot less in a package deal with roof bars.
Medium Wide boxes - TOP QUALITY
- KAMEI’s Delphin 340Ks at £239.95 for scratch-resistant silver and £259.95 for gloss black are always very popular family boxes, being top quality at a mid market price; they're available in right hand opening (silver or black) or left hand opening (silver or black). They cost a lot less in a package deal with roof bars.
- Atera’s Certo 460/480 (£324.95) was the runner up in the 2012 Auto Express test. These are 420 litre roofboxes are available in silver or black
- Thule’s Motion 200s (£339.95) or Motion 800s (£379.95) are available in gloss silver or gloss black. They’re similar widths but the 200 is shorter. If in doubt, choose a Motion 800.
- KAMEI’s Corvara 390Ks, starting at £279.95, have a similar foot print to all these boxes, with quality and user friendly features as good as it gets - "close to being the perfect roofbox" (Auto Express 2008 and 2009 “Best Buy”). They’re available in scratch-resistant silver or black metallic.
- KAMEI’s Delphin 470s at £289.95 for scratch-resistant silver and £309.95 for gloss black are our all round family-on-a-reasonable-budget "Best Buy" boxes. You can get a huge amount into these boxes and, what with dogs, children etc., having a box of this size makes all the difference! They're available in right hand opening (silver or black) or left hand opening (silver or black). They cost a lot less in a [package deal] with roof bars. “Use this roof box, and you’ll love it! Feels bombproof, and that shape maximises volume.” (Auto Express roof boxes test 2009, Runner Up)
- KAMEI’s Corvara 475s, starting at , are as good as it gets: the most sophisticated styling we’ve seen, the best materials, the best features. They’re available in scratch-resistant silver or black metallic.
Narrow boxes - BUDGET
- Narrow boxes are ideal for those who want to carry two bikes (easy) or even three bikes on the roof, as well as a box. They’re less fashionable than they used to be, partly because so many customers put their extra bikes behind the car. Thule’s Ranger 500 (£179.95) is a fabric roof bag / “soft box”.
Narrow boxes - TOP QUALITY
- Thule’s Atlantis 600, (£249.95), available in gloss black. Last year’s range. Many prefer Atlantis styling to Motion styling. Selling cheaper to free up warehouse space.
- Thule’s Motion 600s, (£289.95), available in gloss silver or gloss black
- KAMEI’s Corvara 310s, starting at £269.95 are as good as it gets for looks, build quality and features. They’re available in scratch-resistant silver or black metallic.
Long Wide boxes - BUDGET
- KAMEI’s Husky XXL boxes (£254.95) won the Auto Express Best Buy award in 2010 and 2012 (there was no test in 2011). They’re available in right hand opening (silver or black) or left hand opening (silver or black).
Long Wide boxes - TOP QUALITY
- Atera’s Certo boxes are available as the 560 silver for £394.95 or 580 black for £439.95. Their features and build quality are the same as the Thule Motion 900s’, but the styling is very different. Atera is a name best associated with award winning tow bar bike carriers and roof bars – their roof boxes are in fact made for them by Hapro.
- Thule’s Motion 900s, (£539.95), available in gloss silver or gloss black. These boxes are always popular but, like the Atera Certos above, they are a two person lift unless you have appropriate experience and strength to move them on your own.
Size and weight may be no big deal for you, but give some consideration to using 2 boxes; most of our 2 box deals provide a greater capacity than one box, usually at a similar price, but with much easier handling, and the flexibility to change the set up as the family grows up and requirements change.
The Best Box
What in our view is the overall Best roof box on the market today? All things considered - especially bearing in mind quality, reliability, and ease of use, but also individuality and all round smartness - it's going to be the KAMEI Delphin 470, priced from £289.95.
Our Runner Up is the KAMEI Corvara 475, priced from £319.95.
Families looking for boxes which are large enough but also flexible enough for the medium term, e.g. leaving roof space for a couple of bike carriers, need look no further than one of these two
Don't forget about our 90 day exchange scheme - just in case you aren't convinced that you got the right box first time
Ann says: I am so impressed with how quickly this order came to the north of Scotland
Adam says: Overall a 5 star shopping experience
Danny says: Very prompt service - thank you very much
Simon says: I am very impressed with your company! A good website, easy ordering and efficient delivery.
Melanie says: It was so nice to find a company where I could actually speak to someone.
Grace says: Thank you so much for such an amazingly easy and quick service
Graham says: I just wanted to say thank you for the advice I was given when phoning to choose a tow-bar bike rack
David says: ...your customer care and satisfaction levels are excellent!
Ian says: Super service right from initial contact.
Kate says: Thanks very much for your helpfulness and efficiency.
Imelda says: I've received the dog bag and I love it ! The two dogs luv it too !!!
John says: I really appreciate the good customer service, it is quite rare these days :)
Rob says: Great website and flawless customer service
Jim says: ...once again, a first class, fantastic service!
Michael says: I am very impressed with the quality of the Atera bars-they are well made and very robust,by far the best Roof Bars I have had
Nick says: Very quick service and item extremely well packaged
Anne says: Very impressed with the item, it is just what I wanted, and very good quality.
Sean says: The Boot liner has arrived - excellent quality and a perfect fit
Anthony says: The advice given before purchase on what box to buy was excellent
Caroline says: It is a pleasure to make use of an amazingly efficient company
Chris says: You provide a truly excellent service from the speed of the delivery to the after-sales help
Tim says: Best service I've had in ages.
Janet says: ...it's a brilliant roof rack system and we are so pleased with it.
Brian says: You get 10 out of 10 for customer service.
Steve says: Thank you very much for sending a replacement and for such a brilliant service provided
James says: Excellent service from TRBC yet again – I do often cite you as one of the best consumer businesses I have ever known
Sarah says: Just to say - great pre and after-sales service from your company
Pete says: Web site very informative and easy to use. Order delivered speedily. Minor problems sorted out quickly.
Kim says: Your customer service is as good as your website!
Jon says: Many thanks for the quick service. Ecommerce at its best.
Bruce says: Great value for money from the roof box co along with good
Steve says: Excellent product from Kamei, and brilliant service from yourselves.
We believe our Family roofboxes will suit your needs.
Boxes are bulky items so the ideal place to store them is above your car in the garage, or in a shed. Many people will leave the box attached to the bars, and also use the box for storage. If you don't want a box hoist we're offering an alternative useful item (of lower value).
More on the brands we sell and what makes them special
"); } //-->